Re: [OM] McKeown's Guide

Subject: Re: [OM] McKeown's Guide
From: Larry Woods <lmwoods@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2002 23:54:27 -0400
McKeowon's Price Guide to Antique and Classic Cameras 2001-2002 is
published by    Centennial Photo
                11595 State Road 70
                Grantsbug WI 54840-7135
                Phone (715) 689-2277
                www.camera-net.com

Their prices are $139 hardbound, $125 softbound, plus shipping.
They also publish and/or sell other antiquarian photo books
with titles like "300 Leica Copies", "The Univex Story" and
"The Collector's Guide to Kuribayashi-Petri Cameras"

I just checked Amazon (US), and didn't find it with "McKeowon's" but
did find it with "Cameras 2001-2002".  It is a special order,
priced at $139, with a link to resellers quoting $110.

I agree with other responders that the coverage of OMs, not listing
OM-3's and 4's or lenses, is shameful.  But they do sort of explain
their bias.  The forward says "we have excluded at least 30,000
cameras ... to keep the book to a reasonable size ... [including]
most cameras produced since the 1980's, which are generally more
usable than collectable."  The book does list some 25,000 cameras.

The Olympus 35mm SLR section has the comment "...we are listing only
the first few Olympus SLR's.  The later ones definitely are more
usable than collectable."  I don't recall seeing a similar comment
anywhere else in the book, leading me to believe that the question
about OM coverage has been raised before.  I categorize this as
the editors damning OMs with legitimate praise. Now that the OM series
is out of production, maybe we can expect more from the next
edition.

Nikon SLRs are treated with a similar time bias, with nothing newer
than F4's except for a transparent store-display version of an F90.
They do, however have an extensive Nikkor lens listing.

The number of pages devoted to any brand isn't always an indication
of interest, but also a reflection of documented volatility in the
design or production run.  For instance, there are 13 different
Nikon F variations listed and 11 F2's.  Similarly, they list
8 different Olympus Six models from 1946-1957.

One of the things about OM collecing that appeals to me (after the
sheer funcionality and usability of the OM series) is the fact that
for the most part, each item sprung into production fully conceived
and realized, and didn't undergo fixing or alterations over its
production run.  When I acquire a 1n, I have a 1n.  I don't have to
go checking whether it has a solid or hollow wind lever, X sync
at 50 or 60, 3 FPS or 5 FPS motor capability, etc, etc, etc.

In contrast, looking at a Nikon listing gives me major headaches.
Say I wanted to get a 24mm f/2.8.  Should I get an
NAI, AI, IC, AIS or AF lens?  Which will meter properly on a
Nikkormat FT2 - or how about an FT3?

Getting back to the McKeowon's book, I disagree with the people who
said not to get it.  If your interest in cameras from the 60's to 80's
is general and not limited to Olympus OMs, it has a wide coverage -
Canonet, Zeiss (Jena or Ikon), Agfa, Mamiya, Zenit, Miranda, Edixa,
Yashica, Petri - it's all in the book.  The trade-off for short
descriptions of any one camera is the fact that you will find most
any camera from the pre-plastic era included. You may, while browsing
the book, find some different category (e.g. non-meter RF's from
the 50's) that sparks your interest.  It will also allow you to notice
some dusty flea-market item outside your normal field of interest to
be a good find.  I recommend getting the book.