[OM] Bill Barber's visit to Yellowstone Park

Subject: [OM] Bill Barber's visit to Yellowstone Park
From: "James N. McBride" <jnmcbr@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 03:04:43 -0600
I spent some time in Yellowstone Monday getting the place ready for Bill
Barber's visit later this week. The Elk and Buffalo were mostly hiding and
the places where I usually see lots of Elk were nearly empty. I figure that
their work is entertaining tourists, and since it was Labor Day, they had
taken the day off. It is mating season...maybe they were just being modest.
Those that were out in the open, I herded back into the trees so ole Bill
won't have to see those nasty dirty things. We've been trying to get the
bears riled up and it seems to be working. A griz bit a man on the face and
nearly bit his nose off. Someone suggested that the guy was so ugly it was
no wonder the bear spit him out. Someone else suggested the bear should get
an award for cleaning up the park. Another bear bit a guy on the ass while
he was sleeping in a tent in the back country. He let out a scream and
scared the poor bear. I don't think Bill will have to worry. The critters
don't like to eat Texans. Someone asked a Park Ranger why that was and he
replied, "You ever try to clean one?"

The Park Services may be offering driving classes by the time Bill gets
there. Yesterday a guy backed his car through some trees and tore one door
off. A Utah driver managed to park his car right in the middle of the
Madison River. The Rangers are very sensitive about speeding and write lots
of tickets. I talked to a couple touring on a Harley and warned them about
that. They started laughing and told me that they had just been stopped by a
Ranger who admonished them for going too slowly...he suggested that they
pick up the pace a little.

The road from Madison to Norris is still under construction for about nine
miles. That road was so bad that it is smoother now that the pavement is
torn out and the whole thing is dirt and gravel. The road crew wasn't
working on Monday but the Forman assured me that they will be working when
Bill gets there because we all know he really likes to photograph
construction work. They have promised 30 minute delays so Bill will have
plenty of time for creative setups. It is supposed to rain later in the week
so he shouldn't have to worry about dust in the construction areas....a
little mud perhaps.

I didn't find too many exceptional photo ops but perhaps things will go
better for Bill. If the critters are hiding, he can go to the congested
tourist areas and check out the young girls. On a warm day they can be
interesting. Sometimes it's fun to look for naked couples in the hot pools
along the river. Always something to do in Yellowstone.