re: OT[OM] off - topic - *ay*al

Subject: re: OT[OM] off - topic - *ay*al
From: Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 14:23:59 -0700
> ...I ended up losing 14.5 0n the whole transaction which included queueing
> my funds to be transferred from the PayPal bucket to my bank in New
> Zealand.  It seems I can't even get a PayPal Mastercard and take the funds
> out locally using an ATM.  5% would have been OK in my view, but 14.5% is
> far too much, in my opinion....

Brian, I've found in my travels that after transportation and
accomodation, currency conversion is the next biggest expense. It can be
a hidden expense and if you don't budget for it or shop around it can be
a rude shock. This is especially true if visiting multiple countries in
the course of a trip or visiting countries with economic problems, e.g.
Argentina. I generally would budget between 10-15o the 14% you lost
is on the high side but not unexpected.

Mike
--
Latitude 48° 32' North, Longitude 123° 7' West