Re: [OM] Viewfinder problem

Subject: Re: [OM] Viewfinder problem
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2002 12:30:14 -0700
on 9/2/02 9:53 AM, mms@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx at mms@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Zuiks,
>
> Using a recently bought OM-2, I noticed that my 50mm lens would focus beyond
> infinity.  Must be the lens, I thought, but it works fine on my other OM's.
> Do I have a mirror offset of some kind?  Loose prism?  I can't see any way to
> adjust the mirror stop.
>
> I was focussing on some Mtn. peaks about 20 mi. distant, which is about as
> close to infinity as it gets around here.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Morgan

Maybe the previous owner was Buzz Lightyear?

The problem could be in two different areas... it could be a problem in the
viewfinder/mirror assembly, or it could be a problem in the lens mount
location...

Did you check the focus with a ground-glass screen at the film plane? Camera
on tripod, shutter to B, ground-glass (an OM finder screen will work) laid
across the film rails (tape it in place, make sure its flat and square on
the innermost rails i.e. closest to the opening for the image). Focus lens
on something at infinity, check image on the ground-glass using a loupe,
then let the shutter close and check the image in the viewfinder.

If the lens focuses OK at the film plane, but not in the viewfinder, then
the problem is in the mirror/finder area. Could be mirror alignment, or
finder screen location or alignment, or I'm sure other things.

If the lens focuses beyond infinity at the film plane (on the ground-glass)
as well as in the viewfinder, then the problem is in the lens flange to
film-plane (and finder screen) distance. This could be due to missing shims
or washers under the lens mount, or damage from a drop, or other things I
suppose...

This probably could be taken care of in a CLA...
--

Jim Brokaw