[OM] ( OM ) Re: Zuiko 50/3.5 macro

Subject: [OM] ( OM ) Re: Zuiko 50/3.5 macro
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 00:38:08 +1200
Hi folks,

Thanks for all the comments.  Yes, I'm pleased with the price I got it for -
$US 94, and the vendor volunteered for me to pay only $US5 for postage (it
cost him about $8.50). However, I had set myself a target of breaking (under)
$100 US for one of these and I was determined not to go over that limit.
Buying strategy comes into that !!

For those who missed my earlier post, it is a 21st birthday present for my
daughter (who now has, courtesy me, an OM10, 50/1.8, 35~105/3.5-4.5),
and now the 50/3.5. I heeded her thinking aloud about wanting a *lens for
close-ups*.

Well I've had the use of it over the last few days, and I still think it's a
very
nice lens. Yes, I know about its features; I've read them so often I can almost
quote them chapter and verse. It's a very portable lens - so small you hardly
notice it.

Today, for the sake of those who wonder about the Panagor 55/2.8 macro, I
photographed both lenses attached to bodies, retracted and extended.

The Panagor IS considerably bigger, but then, it also does 1:1 while the
Zuiko does just 1:2 maximum magnification.

I should have scans available on-line in 10 days or so.

The reason I bought the Panagor ( I also had *Bay fever at the time) was that
I was amazed and captured by the detail this lens can get. Perhaps you can
remember the butterfly images I hosted for a French list member who was
too shy to host them himself. I still have them and will put one online again.
I don't have comparable shots made by the Zuiko and there's no chance I'll
have to shoot a subject with such tiny details as the hairs on the butterfly
body. Or maybe??

I have one reservation about the Panagor so far. Avoid showing sky in your
macro shots. The bokeh of out-of-focus sky is quite awful, in my opinion.

Otherwise, I like it a lot. With 1:1 I can and have copied slides onto print
film
with great ease.

For those promoting the use of the Panagor 90, I suspect the Zuiko 50 will
have a greater DOF for equivalent apertures.

The Panagor 90/2.8 currently on the Bay is quite bigger again. The Zuiko is
tiny in comparison - just 200 gm and really short.

Brian