[OM] OM Mount Change?

Subject: [OM] OM Mount Change?
From: "Curtis P. Hedman" <Curtis.P.Hedman-1@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 08:36:23 -0500
Another technical question for the List...

I just received an OM-2n (thanks to Matt Crawley) and a Vivitar 90mm 1:1 macro (via Bill Barber), and have discovered a curiosity: there seems to be some sort of interference between the protruding collar at the back of the lens and the innards of the OM-2n mount, but the lens mounts just fine on my OM-2s (as well as a Vivitar 3X converter). I also have a 55mm Vivitar 1:1 macro (again courtesy of Matt Crawley) which has a similar collar protruding into the body, and it mounts just fine on the -2n. I did some measurements, and found that the 55mm lens collar is actually slightly deeper, but the 90mm collar has a larger diameter. Hence my theory is that Olympus made a slight revision to the mount design between the -2n and the -2s to give a slightly larger clear zone for protruding rear elements, etc. The other possibility is that there are normal tolerance variations at play here, and the two bodies I tried the lens on are at opposite ends of the spec range...

So has anyone had similar experiences? How about actual dimensional data on the OM mount and the clear zone behind it? This sort of thing always makes me curious, beyond the normal questions of utility of the lens, quality, etc. - I like the lens (going all the way to 1:1 is convenient) and plan to restrict its use to the -2s, but inquiring minds want to know....

Curt