[OM] Windex on Lenses

Subject: [OM] Windex on Lenses
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 13:20:48 -0700
Windex for cleaning eyepieces ?
Ask-Al@Tele-Vue-Optics
Wed, 2 Sep 1998 08:50:37 -0400

Rich N. asks if Windex could hurt the coatings or other parts of
our eyepieces.

No, as long as it's applied to a Q-tip and not so heavily that capillary
action would draw it into the lens housing. However, that applies to any
cleaning agent. Getting a good clean surface depends more on technique
than type of cleaning agent. We also find that the cleaning technique
will vary depending on the agent being used.

I thought this answer from Televue, a manufacturer of very high
quality, multi-coated refractor telescopes would reinforce the
experience of the Windex fans on the list. Maybe I will change my
mind. :-)
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California