Re: [OM] ( OM ) Thoughts on macro photograhy

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM ) Thoughts on macro photograhy
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 16:55:08 -0700
Hi folks

Recent discussion on the OM focussing stage and rail has sent me thinking;
especially having mentally absorbed the findings of Gary Reese (and many
others including my old friend John Johns whose book I have mentioned in
the past) with regard to firm stability of camera and lens set-ups.

Gary has revealed how vibrations on exposure in the camera - lens system
degrade images, and described ways to reduce this degradation.

John showed how necessary it is for quality images in telephoto photography
to have the camera as close as possible to the apex of the tripod, and the
tripod set up (and we now know "weighted" also as necessary) to minimise
vibration and movement.

In my opinion (can others comment here?) due to the magnification,
enhanced stability of the photographic set-up is very important for
macrophotography too.

So - using a focussing rail and stage can lead to camera instability
especially when extended. Sometimes when shooting natural topics, this
combination makes it possible to take shots that otherwise would be difficult.

But for subjects that don't have movement restrictions, what I see will be a
better method for best image quality, will be
1) stabilise the camera and lens as well as possible close to the tripod apex.
2) use the focussing rail and stage to carry the subject and move the subject
back and forth to attain best focus.

$0.02

Brian

Not really my area, but my dos centavos.

I think the main thing is that the focussing rail and stage should
not be extended.  You should be set up so that you are in the zone
and the focus rail and stage displacement should only be a fine
adjustment and quite small.  You start with the camera and lens in a
stable centered position, focus with the lens, and make the fine
adjustment with the rail.

Macro is in a sense like astrophotography, a long exposure of a very
narrow angle. An adequate tripod for general stargazing is usually
not suitable for photography.  If you are serious about macro you may
want to use a tripod that is much larger and heavier than what would
be fine for general photography.

And preferably use a camera that allows you to prefire the aperture
and mirror before the shutter operates. I would imagine that the
mechanism in the camera that moves the aperture will still contribute
something even if using a manual macro lens.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California

?