RE: [OM] How do you get that Sepia Tone

Subject: RE: [OM] How do you get that Sepia Tone
From: Marc Lawrence <mlawrence@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 12:26:07 +1000
> bsandyman@xxxxxxx [mailto:bsandyman@xxxxxxx] wrote:
> Other then the obvius tweek in Photo Shop or similar,
> how does one get that sepia tone?

My photo in the summer exchange is sepia "toned", but then,
I don't think my method will help much. You see, I use
B&W C41-process film. Now, the labs always warn you that
if you print this in colour paper, you might get a colour
cast to it. I ask them to print it as neutral as possible,
and they're pretty good at doing so - at least, especially
when I get them to blow a photo up, I cannot see any
colour-cast.

However, because of this "fault" in printing on colour
paper, you can also ask them to intentionally print the
photo with a cast. The minilabs I have been to, and the
one I usually use, have "sepia" always as an option here
(I imagine there's some "channel" for it they set up on
their machine). I'm not normally a fan of it, though it
has worked with a couple of the bush hut photos, like the
watering can in Robert Gries' Summer Exchange at
www.nothingrhymeswithorange.com/gries/Asides/OM-S-02/main.htm

It would no doubt work better and look better with the
traditional B&W film and methods, but, alas, I don't have
that as an option at the moment. I'd prefer to do that
myself, rather than expensive-lab it, but I don't currently
have somewhere I can set up at home to do that.

(As an aside, is it John A. Lind or "AG Schnozz"
that has been working with this film in the darkroom?)

I look forward to one day participating in the "Dark (and
Light) Art" of the darkroom.

Cheers
Marc
Sydney, Oz