Re: [OM] new printer questions

Subject: Re: [OM] new printer questions
From: Johnny Johnson <jjohnso4@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 13:57:45 -0400
At 10:32 AM 8/14/02 -0700, Mike wrote:

Other than buying a $1500 monitor what can I do to get a
reasonable calibration? If it were at least close I could then do an
"eyeball" calibration and cut down on the number of trial prints.

Hi Mike,

You can get in the ballpark with your monitor by using Adobe gamma that's packaged with Photoshop. If you don't have Photoshop available then try WiziWYG from Praxisoft. <http://www.praxisoft.com/pages/products.wiziwyg.html#> It's a free download and you don't need to register it or purchase targets if all you're wanting to do is calibrate your monitor.

Once you've calibrated your monitor you'll probably want to develop a profile for the printer. I'm using an inexpensive program by the name of Profile Prism. It's cost is $69 (I think) and requires the use of a flatbed scanner to scan the color targets. <http://www.ddisoftware.com/prism/>

To use a printer profile though you'll need an application that's "color management aware" such as Photoshop or Qimage.

Using this approach my prints are very close to what I see on the monitor.

Later,
Johnny