Re: [OM] Using lenses with fungus

Subject: Re: [OM] Using lenses with fungus
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 03:15:47 -0700
on 8/13/02 9:02 PM, Lee Penzias at l_penzias@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I am led to believe that some fungus can, after a time actually etch the
> glass. How it does this baffles me - but then I am not a biochemist.
> Apparently some emit acidic matter and this actually pits the glass over a
> long period. People that are into old telescopes, binocular and other optics
> are familiar with this. I would imagine though that in this state most
> lenses would be well beyond economic repair.
>
> Cheers
> Lee

This is true, as I have found out... the only economic way to fix the really
badly etched elements is to replace them. Unfortunately, if Olympus no
longer has the elements in stock (and I can't imagine they ever had too many
even when the lenses were new) then you have a lens that is about 900sable
but not without finding the last 10%...

Which brings me to an opportunity to again solicit the list for any hints,
tips, pointers, or clues to any repair facility having a 'broken, for parts'
example of either the 8/2.8 fisheye or the 16/3.5 fisheye... I have examples
of both that need only the rear-most elements replaced to be fully usable.
Sadly, Olympus doesn't have these parts in stock anymore... I can't bring
myself to write off these unique and special lenses, so I hope someone can
point me to any possible source of the parts. Substantial finders fee and
personal thanks (as well as a warm fuzzy Zuikoholic glow) will be available
for the right parts finder...

Thanks for your patience with my un-ending (so far...) quest.
--

Jim Brokaw