RE: [OM] monopods

Subject: RE: [OM] monopods
From: "Larry J. Clark" <ljclark@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 23:58:44 -0400
Mike (and the list),

Checking my 3449/449 (carbon) and 3249/249 monopods side-by-side, I find the
3249/249 to be a little stiffer.  I'm not surprised, since the 3249/249 has
a 22 pound rating vs. the 3449/449's 11 pound rating.  However, in field
use -- most of the time -- you'll be be giving the monopod vertical loads.
Each section of the 3449/449 is about one size smaller in diameter than the
same section of the 3249/249.  Sectional diameter will be one factor in
stiffness, but we are comparing tubular metal vs. carbon fiber, so there are
several factors at play.

Looking at the Bogen Photo web site, it looks like the 3249/249 has been
replaced by the 680.  The size and load rating appears to be the same, but
it looks like it might have the newer head with the combo DIN & 1/4-20
screw.  Also, it looks like there are new style lever leg locks -- similar
to the ones on my 3449/449 -- which I suspect will be much less likely to
snag something.

The 680 weighs 1.8 pounds and the 3449 weighs 1.1 pounds.

Owning both, the 3449 is the one I'll normally be taking into the field.

IMPORTANT NOTE:  I flip-flopped the information on my earlier post (bad
Larry!).  The 3449 is the taller one, by 9 inches.