[OM] opinions

Subject: [OM] opinions
From: "Reuben Acciano" <rubydoomsday@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2002 01:44:51 -0500
Zuiks,

1. Does anyone have an exc cond Stylus Epic/Mju II they want to sell? I have a
friend who
needs a good P&S for an O/S trip and IMHO there is none better ... (possibly
the Ricoh G
seriesm though who has $900 for a compact P&S?). I'm only interested in a black
one - the
champagne ones look naff. I can pay up to US$60-65 bucks. Reply off list if you
can spare
one.

2. Sorry if I'm a little late on this thread, but I LOVE the 85 f2 - my
favourite lens for portraiture
and even okay for basic macro (Donna Hay style food shots or such) wide open
with a +3/4
close-up filter on the front.The close-focus group makes that teensy tiny plane
of sharp
focus really ping against the lens' fabulous bokeh. It's also only marginally
bigger, really
than a standard lens and nearly as fast, so when it's "one lens on the Ti, one
in the pocket
time" it's as simple as 85, 24 (or 28 f2). I DO miss my lovely 35 f2 though ...
just too damn
heavy/55mm filters, Bugger.

As for the whole kit/size/price debate ... my total kit is 24 2.8, 85 f2, late
50 1.4. That's it. The
only other stuff I even remotely desire is to time travel back and reclaim my
16 fish that I
sold for a song years ago, or acquire an 18/21 at a decent price. Small primes
are the best
because you can carry three of them to one zoom, both in terms of weight and
size. Plus
better image quality into the bargain. If I need to recompose, I move my feet -
poor man's
(or is that everyman's?) zoom ...

In one small shoulder bag, I can keep nearly my whole kit (4Ti round
shoulder/neck, XA or
35SP at all times, with different film for gotta-carry-a-camera-moments).

Also, someone else please tell me you've heard of the Elicar Tele-Macro
converter? I've
been crowing about this for years on this list and never heard a grunt of
recognition. It is a
3x Teleconverter with a switch in/out collar that permits 1:1 focussing of a
50mm lens,
How's that for versatility? I have used it to turn my 50 into a 150mm f 5.6
prime (three stops
light loss), with razor sharp results before, as well as for high-quality,
portable macro. Grab
one if you can ever find one  - it's amazing.

Just my thoughts.
Reuben