Re: [OM] teleconverter and DOF

Subject: Re: [OM] teleconverter and DOF
From: "Paul D. Farrar" <farrar@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 20:04:06 -0500
As long as the distance to the subject is small compared to the hyperfocal
distance, both before and after, the DOF will be halved. The doubling of the
f# willdouble the DOF, but the doubling of the focal length will quarter it,
for a net halving. For near hyperfocal cases, it's more complicated.

Details:

DOF = d**2/(h-d) + d**2/(h+d)
where h = F**2/(c*f) is hyperfocal distance
If d is small compared to h, then
DOF ~ 2*d**2/h = 2*c*f*d**2/F**2
leaving circle of confusion (c) and d unchanged,
DOF is proportional to f/F**2
Doubling f and focal length (F), halves DOF.