RE: [OM] Further thoughts on technology

Subject: RE: [OM] Further thoughts on technology
From: "Larry J. Clark" <ljclark@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 20:26:10 -0400
I guess it depends upon whether or not you want to be a photographer, or a
picture taker.

I've been doing photography seriously for over 35 years...And I still screw
up now and again.  The difference is that when I screw up, I usually know
WHY I screwed up.  I had to learn when everything was done manually.
(Technology is good -- I did learn to print with a stabilization printer
(pretty high tech then), but that forced me to control my prints completely
under the enlarger -- no straight Dektol "hot soup".)

As I've mentioned, I'm working with a young woman -- helping her find out
what still photography, and especially sports photography, is about.  We're
using an OM-2, so some of the taking is automated, but you still have to
make decisions about aperture, where the light is, film speed, focusing,
depth-of-field, etc.  I've loaned her an incident meter so she can find out
what light is about.

I guess I could let her use the F100 and just bang away on AF -- but every
time she uses my OM gear, I'd like her to take away a sense of what she did
right or wrong...Not what the camera did.  She's taken some horrible shots,
and some shots that she really likes -- all part of the process.

Larry

 Paradigm Associates...
  "Providing Complex Solutions for Simple Problems"
     Visit our web site at:
         http://www.twodimes.org
     or set your navigation system to:
         38-46.883N  77-15.818W