[OM] Football

Subject: [OM] Football
From: Sam Shiell <sam.shiell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 17:33:38 +0100
Finally got the pictures back from the 5-a-side football tournament at work.

To recap, this was 10 teams playing a knockout tournament on 2 tennis-court
size pitches (2 games being played simultaneously)... 15 minutes a game a 5
minutes between. Having no hand-eye co-ordination at all I took the safe
option and volunteered to do the photos.

I left a friend with his P&S to take the "ancillary" action whilst I
concentrated on the play. The kit I had was my OM2n with a 400 and the OM1
with an 85-210. I also kept a 35 in my pocket but only used it twice. I had
my BG2 and T32 but didn't use them until the after-match party as the
evening was pretty light. It was also the first outing for a monopod that I
got with a magazine subscription.

Well, I couldn't believe what exhausting work this was. The whole evening
took I guess 3 hours and I was focusing/framing or photographing
continuously. I bought 4 rolls of Fuji 800 but used them up within the first
hour and a half and had to use the 3 rolls of 400 I took "just in case", and
I could easily have used more.

The main problem I had was the 400 was a tiny bit too powerful and the
85-210 too small. This was the first outing for the 400 (in fact this event
was the excuse to buy it!) and I realised that it wasn't really possible to
track the ball all over the place. The technique that worked for me  was to
pick a player and follow them until they did something interesting. Got (in
my opinion) quiet a few good shots that way.

The one thing that went wrong was that as it was a light evening I put the
BG2 and T32 to one side of the pitch out of the way. The light started
fading just as the winning team was announced and I didn't have time to get
to the flash, so perhaps the most important photos of the evening were
underexposed..... a lesson there. The other lesson was that even in a nice
UK summer evening after 3 hours "standing around" it got quite chilly, to
the extent where it was difficult holding the 400 still through shivering.
Next time I'll take a jumper.

The other downside was that (apart from the obligatory few who took it
seriously) everyone was  making the most of the free beer/food but I just
didn't have time to indulge until right at the end of the evening when all
the beer and most of the food had gone. -

Between my friend and I we took over 9 rolls of pictures (160 UK pounds
processing, which the company thankfully paid for). I would have been happy
if 100f them were OK but I was delighted that well over half were good.

All in all an extremely enjoyable and educational evening. Can't wait for
the next event.

Sam

This e-mail and any attached files are intended solely for the named
addressee only. It may contain information that is confidential, legally
privileged and protected by copyright. Unless you are the named addressee
(or authorised to receive on behalf of the addressee) you may not copy, use
or disclose its contents to anyone else. If you received this e-mail in
error please notify the sender immediately and then delete it from your
system. We make every effort to keep our network free from viruses although
we can take no responsibility for any computer virus which may be
transferred by way of this e-mail.