Re: [OM] re: potential London trip forthcoming - hairdryers

Subject: Re: [OM] re: potential London trip forthcoming - hairdryers
From: Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2002 11:43:45 -0400
At 5:40 PM +0000 7/18/02, olympus-digest wrote:
>Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 21:36:30 -0500
>From: "Gary Edwards" <garyetx@xxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: [OM] re: potential London trip forthcoming - film choices
>
>Just be careful of any power supplies with 120/240 V switches.  My wife
>managed to plug her 120 V hair curler into a 240 V outlet in a small inn
>near Gatwick.  It required some creative misuse of said flat to round plung
>(sic) adapters.   Seems that Ohm's Law and the power equation are omitted
>from the curriculum of certain Baptist law schools in central Texas.  It
>takes quite a while to air out a small English inn. . .

Hmm.  Hairdryers and hair curlers are universal.  Our solution some years ago
was to buy a 220 volt hairdryer upon arrival in Paris, for the equivalent of US
$13.  The local hairdryer was cheaper and better than the multivoltage
travellers appliances, and if it breaks, just buy another locally.  It's cheap
enough that one could just abandon the hairdryer after the trip, but we brougt
it home and used in subsequent trips to Europe.

Note that UK plugs used to be different than mainland Europe plugs, but
adapters are widely available in the UK.

OM content -- The hairdryer accidentally ended up in a photo taken with the
OM-1.

Joe Gwinn