[OM] OT: Green Cross Code [was: What to shoot in London]

Subject: [OM] OT: Green Cross Code [was: What to shoot in London]
From: "Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 17:10:47 -0600
> And just remember as you walk and cross the streets, the cars drive at you

> on the OTHER side. Look right before you cross, before looking left, then
> right again.  It's so easy to get caught out if you're not used to it.

 Also, you don't have the same right-of-way as you may be used to. In
Calgary, pedestrians have the right of way a lot more vigorously than in the
UK -- so if I step out in front of a car that's coming up to a junction,
it'll stop for me.

 If I try pulling that sort of thing in the UK, I'd get hit -- so there, you
cross _behind_ the first car in a line of cars. That way the only person
that can hit you is the second car in the line, and they're already stopped
because of the first one.

 On the upside, jaywalking is the norm, so once you get the hang of it,
crossing roads is a lot quicker than around here where I have to find a
crosswalk, wait for the lights to change, blah blah. Not that you _can't_
jaywalk around here, but the police will stop you for it if they catch you,
whereas in the UK that wouldn't happen unless you were on a motorway or
something.

 -- dan