Re: [OM] "finely crafted" instruments

Subject: Re: [OM] "finely crafted" instruments
From: "Lee Penzias" <l_penzias@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2002 11:55:49 -0500

----Original Message Follows----
From: "William Sommerwerck" <williams@xxxxxxxxxx>

Subject: [OM] "finely crafted" instruments

"Cameras are making a transition from being finely crafted instruments to being disposable consumer electronic junk."

There is a subtle bias in this remark that needs to be discussed.

............. Yep!
---------------
Who doesn't respond strongly to the expression "hand-crafted"? If you have a choice, wouldn't you rather have something that was lovingly hand-made, rather than cranked-out en masse by a soulless machine?

................. "Handcrafted" can, in this sense, be "handfitted". Most or all of the parts may well have been made on a machine. But perhaps they are fitted and finished by hand. Rolex watches (among many others) comes to mind.
-------------

Several years ago my apartment house's management hired a sculptor to carve an old tree on the property with a design appropriate for the "race horse" theme of the property. I spent some time talking with her, and discovered that she had a beaten-up 35mm camera that really wasn't suitable for what she was using it for. So I convinced her to trade an Olympus Stylus for a custom chain-saw sculpture. It's a bear cub, about 18" tall, sitting pensively with a pencil in his hand. I call him Faulkner. (Get it?)

This sculpture might not be "valuable," but it's essentially irreplaceable. If a disaster forced me to choose which items to save, Faulkner would certainly be one of the first things tossed in the car.

But there are other, mechanically "crafted" items that I would also rush to save. These would include several KLH Model Eight table radios, a couple of classic metal-bodied Sony Discmans, and -- no surprise -- my OM outfit, which includes exotic lenses that are no longer made.

Why should I be as interested in saving a "manufactured" item as something hand-made? The answer is obvious -- because it's well-engineered, well-made, and no longer available. It's worth saving simply because it's of high quality (and, sometimes, expensive).

This is despite the fact that none of these items is "finely crafted."
Indeed, the very _last_ thing you want in a mechanically produced item is "fine craftsmanship"!

In the ideal manufacturing environment, parts could be made to arbitrarily tight tolerances and fit together without further work. In practice, that doesn't work, especially with metal castings. The "fine craftsmanship" the writer praises is not a form of artistic expression but an unfortunate necessity. Plastic cameras are cheaper because they require less hand labor, not because plastic is cheaper than metal.

............ Processes like CNC bring down the costs of such metal parts dramatically. As does investment castings. Ruger firearms is an example of sucecssful application of the latter. Major parts are cast, a minimum of final machining is needed, and final finishing then fitting done by hand. Many excellent firearms have been made around the extensive use of stampings - a sound design and the right materials (metal) and excellent fabrication; the german Mauser Hsc pistol is one dating back to before WW2. In the 1970s Heckler & Koch went even further with a similar piece.
---------------

The real reason so many products are turning into "disposable junk" is
precisely because it's become easy to manufacture incredibly sophisticated products so cheaply. In the middle '80s the first CD players cost $1000, but today you can buy a $50 unit that does essentially the same thing.

............ I call it "engineered limited useful life" - either through the limited life of the product as a functioning piece with no cost effective repair - or the manipulation of the market itself. In the latter, the initial product might omit certain useful (and obvious) features which are then introduced later - hence the first item becomes obsolete....... Although there have been some technological advances in electronics production bringing down prices, the switching to production in places of 25 cents/hour labor was in a greater part responsible for this. Notice how many Japanese and American brands suddenly wound up with "Made in China" or "Mexico" on them, as well as other more obscure places, and the prices dropped sharply......... Then, some things were simply grossly overpriced to start with allowing them to trim them later on. Not too long ago a good VCR might have run up around $200 or more. Even now, as DVDs are taking a real hold, VCRs are STILL being made - and yet new production can be had for $50 retail! That's too big a price cut to attribute to anything more than the fact that they have been way over-priced at retail level to start with, and or they have moved their plant, laid off a few thousand cheap laborers and taken on some lower paid peasants somewhere else.

-----------------

The very thing that makes plastic such a great structural material -- it can be molded into complex multi-function parts that simply snap together -- is exactly the thing that makes plastic products so difficult to service -- you can't easily disassemble them.

This double-edged "sword of cheapness" -- inexpensive products that can't be economically repaired -- encourages manufacturers to cut corners, such as not worrying about the quality of the motor in a Walkman or Discman. Not to mention the ultimate corner-cutting -- reducing the warranty from one year to 90 days -- or less.

.... Right - the very engineered obsolescence that was cited already and the reason so many can be considered junk. Throwaway consumer items. Buy one now, use it - don't even think about getting it fixed. Not cost effective - and they already had a "better one" in the pipeline when you bought the first one anyway.
------------------

I own two Sony FM Discmans. Both have digital tuners, both have remote
control. The similarity ends there. The D-T10 (1989) is made mostly of
stamped metal. It has a solid "heft" and nice feel. The D-FJ75TR (2000) is 990lastic. It doesn't feel so de-luxe, but it's much lighter. And it has features missing in the earlier model, such as near-perfect skip-resistance and a self-programming tuner no larger than a pack of chewing gum. Its list price is also half that of the metal player.

Does the fact the newer Discman is made of plastic make it "disposable
junk"? Simply in terms of features, it's the "better" player. And other than having too much chrome trim, there's nothing cheap or shoddy-looking about its fit or finish. Just try to find parts for the metal model -- you won't be able to. Doesn't that make it "disposable junk" -- at least in Sony's eyes?

......... They were BOTH marketed as disposable consumer items to start with. Metal was convenient at the time, plastic later on. The folks at Sony knew good and well the first one would "skip" - they don't make those things on paper, knock them out and sell them; they test them first. The Japanese, (and Sony in particular) have been well-known for such diligence. Making the tracking more resistant to "skip" either when handled or sitting on the seat of the car was an easy way to sell a "better" product later on - who in the heck was going to settle for what they had, when they could buy a "less skip" version a year later? Of course - many people would simply toss the first and buy another - or they would do so the first time the first machine developed any other problem.

Making a product of plastic does not automatically turn it into "disposable consumer junk." Ignoring the quality of the design and components, refusing to provide parts beyond the period Federal law requires (especially for expensive products that you bought because they _were_ high-quality), and reducing the warranty period to an insultingly short interval DOES.

............. They don't have to refuse to supply parts - they can just say, "To repair your item we estimate a charge of $78.84 for parts and labor". If you paid $99.95 for it new a year and half earlier, and a new one will cost you $107.99 (Or maybe LESS than the first, with some "handy" new features they "just decided to add") how many people are going to pay to have the first repaired? .... I'd agree that making an item of plastic doesn't relegate it to junk necessarily; but durable (ought to be durable - and *repairable*) and luxury goods have been heavily manipulated as a market. Shifting products away completely from carefully designed (and modular), fabricated and assembled systems - and replacing them with short to medium term lifespans. Either because they are uneconomical to repair or they have obvious shortcomings that will be addressed in newer items in the pipeline - or complete system changes.

Many people do not realize it; but the *private* commerical electronic (and related) market lives in the far rear end shadow of actual technology - government and military allowing a trickle down of what is generally 30 year old (or more) technology. So having flooded the market with $200 1 or 2 megapixel cameras - running along with $2000 5 meg items - they will keep upping both ends. Does a 5 meg camera really cost that much more to make than a 2 meg right now? I doubt it.

So 30 years after intro, I can buy an as new (pretty much so) OM-1 for perhaps $200 - and hopefully keep it running for another 30. If I buy a 5 meg wonder for $1200 - I can probably bank on throwing it in the trash in less than 5 - and buying a 9 meg wonder for $899. One way or the other. Of course - if I can not get film for my OM-1 in three or four years time, I don't have a choice.

Cheers,
Lee