[OM] shutter curtains and metering

Subject: [OM] shutter curtains and metering
From: Marten Beels <mbeels@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 20:45:28 -0700 (PDT)
>The metering system uses two CdS sensors to estimate
>the shutter speed, but also has two silicon blue
>sensors that read the light reflected off the
>first shutter blind, or off the film when long
>exposures are used.  During manual exposure, only the
>CdS sensors are used.

I've been wondering about this.  I understand that the
first shutter curtain has a black and white checker
pattern which is used to center weight the meter's
sensitivity.  The OM-2 had two different versions of
this, one more emphasized then the other.  However,
what happens when the exposure is significantly longer
then 1/60?  The checker pattern will have very little
effect on the meters.  Are longer exposures less
center weighted because of this?

Curiously,

Marten