[OM] cleaning focusing screens

Subject: [OM] cleaning focusing screens
From: "William Sommerwerck" <williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 12:48:17 -0700
"You shouldn't touch the screen surface, wash it or rub it, unless you've
done it before. Lightly brushing with a goose feather will take off dust and
lint."

The screens aren't _that_ fragile. A dusting is all they normally need, but
if there's grease or more-resistant dirt, it's okay to clean them more
vigorously.

I start by thoroughly washing the tips of fingers, to get off the grease.
Then I rinse the screen under running water and apply a drop of Dawn. This
is followed a gentle rubbing. A final rinsing removes the detergent.

You can leave the screen to air-dry, but it's better to shake it thoroughly,
then remove the remaining water with canned air.

I've done this several times -- when it was really needed -- and never
damaged a screen.

The only time I ever damaged a screen was when I put one in cockeyed, and
closed the frame right on the screen's surface, marring it.