Re: [OM] 1979 OM Book

Subject: Re: [OM] 1979 OM Book
From: alias@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2002 09:46:27 -0700
Bob W. writes:

<< Was in a used bookshop this weekend and saw a 1979 large paperback
book on the OM system of photography. Author was Craig Shipman? Does
that sound right? Seemed like a pretty comprehensive book covering 1s
and 2s and 10s and flash, slide copiers, bellows, etc. >>

Yes, Shipman would be the author on that one.

<< What's a good price for something like this? It seemed a little
pricey at the store. >>

I'm not aware of anyone who has compiled asking prices for these based
on the bookstore venue. It is pretty common practice to simply mark them
at half the original selling price. Those bookstores with online sales
can be searched in various online databases, including abe.com which was
mentioned here last week when this same question was asked. However,
that is a different venue (i.e., online bookstores), which is peppered
by all sorts of vendors without the overhead of a store front.

I made the mistake last week of not noticing that condition was stated
(as "good") when John D. asked this question. I said that condition
matters when asking about a book's value. Actually, it matters more when
a book is sold by a professional book vendor. While the following 40
month price data reflects a different selling venue (eBay), you can see
that purchases by photographers from primarily amateur sellers partly
results in folks buying for content rather than condition. In another
words, there isn't a clear trend of increased condition = increased
price.  But, if you try selling a collection of Good and Poor condition
books to a bookstore, they most certainly will pay poorly based on
condition.

Condition       stated  a guess BIN
F               12
F-              21      22
VG              15      17
VG-             28*
G+              18
G               18      16      5
G-
P+              18
P               12
none stated     16

any             17

n=101

* only one sale at this condition; a clear outlier

F = Fine, VG = Very Good, G = Good, P = Poor (standard book grading
scheme)

That stated, I have a VG- copy of a Shipman 1979 for sale. $17, with
postage at cost.  I can bill the first person interested by Billpoint
(eBay Online Payments) if you want to pay by credit card.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV