Re: [OM] Various Questions & Advice needed

Subject: Re: [OM] Various Questions & Advice needed
From: "CyberSimian" <CyberSimian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2002 10:44:56 -0000
----- Original Message -----
From: "Jon Mitchell" jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, July 04, 2002 11:01 AM
Subject: [OM] Various Questions & Advice needed

> How do we not get clobbered by
> customs, then clobbered by the GB post office with a charge for putting it
> through customs for you !!

We get clobbered!  I have purchased two lenses and one camera body from the
USA, in three separate transactions.  The third (and most recent) was from a
list member.  I have the labels for that last one to hand; this is how it
worked out:

Value of item:      422 UK pounds

Import duty:           18 UK pounds
VAT:                     79 UK pounds
Clearance fee:         8 UK pounds
Total surcharge:  105 UK pounds  (= 250f value of item)

In addition you need to pay postage and packing, which is typically 30 US
dollars for camera/lens-sized items sent from the US to the UK; more for
heavier or bulkier items.

For payment I have used PayPal, BidPay, and UK credit card.  In terms of
sceurity for the buyer, I am not sure that PayPal or BidPay offer any real
security.  Under UK law, if you pay directly with a credit card, the
credit-card company is responsible for lost or defective goods if the seller
fails to give satisfaction.  PayPal and BidPay are both intermediaries, and
although you pay by credit card, the contract is between the UK credit-card
company and PayPal or BidPay, and NOT with the seller of the item (at least,
that is my interpretation).  So provided that PayPal/BidPay fulfill their
part of the contract (sending the money to the seller), I don't think you
could claim from the UK credit-card company for lost or defective goods if
the seller did not give satisfaction.  (You should always expect banks,
credit-card companies, insurance companies, etc, to grasp any possible
excuse in order to wriggle out of paying compensation; never expect them to
act honourably.)  But I am not a lawyer, and would welcome clarification
from any UK list member who has had a dispute with PayPal or BidPay over
missing or defective goods where the seller did not give satisfaction.

-- from Cy in the UK