[OM] 4th of July Sale - B&H (oops - long)

Subject: [OM] 4th of July Sale - B&H (oops - long)
From: "Henry Bottjer-BA" <hcbottj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 21:19:51 -0400
Well, here in the US we will soon be celebrating our "independence" day, and
all the stores have big sales.  Well at least the department stores.
Anyway, I recently bought an 80mm macro lens and decided I needed a ring
flash to go with it.

I haven't seen many around but, in the interest of instant gratification, I
realized Adorama has a used one for $179 (I live in NYC hence the instant
gratification).  The T-10, though, also needs the T power control to
operate.  Ah, B&H shows a used one for $179.  I need some film, etc. so I
decide to go to B&H first and look at the T Control.  Guy spends about 10
minutes looking for it while I watch the guy next to me checking out a
$5,500 used Minolta 600mm f4 lens - wow big autofocus glass.  Jealous? Nah.
Well a little.  Guy finally returns with a package that has a T power
control and the T-10 ring flash.

Playing cool I ask if he has any batteries to test it - once it worked he
rang me up: $179 for a used (in VG to E condition) T Power Control and a VG
(at best; the plastic ring shows a bit of yellowing) T-10 ring flash.  What
makes this even more interesting is that the week before I looked at a used
65-116mm auto tube for $199.  Steep enough but it didn't even have the
tripod ring which they also sold used for $59.  Downstairs they sell NIB
version for $260.

I sometimes wonder who these people have working there, or maybe it's just
nobody know OM equipment anymore so they don't have a clue?  Go figure.
They've got a 180mm f2.0 lens for $2,500 - maybe I should negotiate with
them and tell them that there is no way an old, outdated, manual focus lens
is worth even 1/2 this magnificent auto-everything Minolta thing!