RE: [OM] OTMyths and Legends - was A little OT pain in the butt

Subject: RE: [OM] OTMyths and Legends - was A little OT pain in the butt
From: Walt Wayman <hiwayman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 15:10:32 -0400
Message text written by INTERNET:olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Chris,

I'm curious as to source of this information. I've never heard of many
people dying from the accidental discharge of firearms. There were many new
people created by accidental discharge of another type. There were a lot of
firearm deaths in certain places like mining towns where there were many
single men and lots of gambling and drinking going on. There were some
notable disease epidemics but more people died from the consequences of
accidents and resulting infections. Broken legs were often fatal. Pneumonia
caused lots to die as did complications from childbirth. Poor nutrition was
often a problem. The people living in wilderness died as one would expect
from being poorly prepared for their adopted lifestyle and having virtually
no medical care.

The so-called indians or native Americans were not always friendly or
helpful. They were initially indifferent to the Europeans. Sometimes they
were very helpful and other times they were just the opposite. They were
always unpredictable. For some reason their systems did not (and still
don't) tolerate alcohol well and white men occasionally paid the price for
giving or selling them booze. The Hollywood depictions of the "old west"
were certainly not very accurate.

/jnm

<

I was going to respond to this earlier, but I didn't want to start a
controversy, so I deleted my earlier rebuttal, and now I have only two
things to say:

1. Hollywood never pretended to be informative or educational.  That's why
it's called "The ENTERTAINMENT Capital of the World."  It's also why some
handguns never need to be reloaded.  I want one.

2. The number of people killed by the accidental discharge of firearms
probably doesn't even rate an honorable mention, coming in somewhere after
struck by lightning and stomped to death by an enraged, drunken Buffalo.
Sounds like some serious anti-gun disinformation to me.

Walt