[OM] craft vs. art; "dripple loading"

Subject: [OM] craft vs. art; "dripple loading"
From: "William Sommerwerck" <williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 10:54:06 -0700
As long as we're into this aesthetic stuff...

I recently bought the DVD of Lenny's six 1973 Hahvad lectures, "The
Unanswered Question." Basically, it's his ruminations on whether music has a
grammar and a meaning similar to that of speech. And a lot of other related
stuff that cannot be easily summarized in a sentence or two.

One of the points he makes is that "poetry" (ie, "art") is created by
ambiguity, and that good music is created by omitting what the listener
"expects" to hear and putting in what is not expected.

You might say that, with respect to music, craft is knowing how to organize
musical ideas, art is knowing what to take out or put in.

In any case, I strongly recommend this set to anyone seriously interested in
music or aesthetics. It's stimulating and, yes, fun. buy.com has the lowest
price by far, and (at the moment) free shipping.

-----

The term Mr. Greve wants is "trickle charging."