[OM] Re: ( OM) Slide Cataloging

Subject: [OM] Re: ( OM) Slide Cataloging
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 19:10:51 +1200
Hi Conrad & all,

Ever since I started taking 35mm photos, I have written down details of each
shot in a little accounting book; about 4.5 x 7.5 inches.

Each new film is given a unique number starting from 1 in book One.

Across the top of the open 2 pages I write in the details of film type, speed,
number of exposures, expiry date etc.

For each shot I write in, using the columns already ruled on the pages
LEFT PAGE
Date
Locality
Hour & weather
Exposure value (started with Weston readings)
Camera & lens
frame number (started with "1" on film "1") (allocated later, unique, in
sequence)
Subject
Shutter speed
Aperture
Focus

These days I write in somewhere on the same line if I used lens hood, filter,
tripod, self-timer etc etc.

For indexing the photos in my library, I use a very fast DOS program called
Archivist that Blackwells Booksellers (UK) put out in the 1980s I think. This
program is practically extinct, but it is very small and I can zip up the whole
thing including a ?72 page instruction book if anybody wants.

I have it at my fingertips any time I want. I run Windows 95, and on the
desktop I have links to Real DOS and to Dos Window. I have a batch
program that loads on boot-up, so in DOS Window, I just need to type in
"slide" without the quotes, and I'm right in it.

I can search the whole database for any word or phrase in a flash.

I have these fields;

Frame number
Film number
Subject description,
Title,
Year,
Photographer (if not me)
Country (if not NZ)
Location
Main keyword
Auxiliary keywords
Mood
Colour
Pattern
Graphic
Aerial
Cropped
Model Release
Marketability estimate (by me)

So I can find any shot I want very quickly and I know which roll it was in
quickly too.

I also have a Windows program called "Ask Sam" which is rather similar, but
of course not nearly as compact.  I'm sure a Google search would find Ask
Sam.

Brian
.