Re: [OM] Color Slide Film -- Differences

Subject: Re: [OM] Color Slide Film -- Differences
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 17:24:21 -0700
If you click on the type, it takes you to a page that explains it all Roughly:
USA = made in USA for sale in USA.
USAW = made in USA for sale outside the USA.
Imported = made outside the USA for sale outside the USA.

There has been some discussion, but not agreement, about the idea that film produced for different areas of the world may have subtle color balance differences to properly render the dominant skin tones of the region. (Note how this relates to the lengthy discussion about manipulation of images in wet or digital darkrooms vs. the 'pure' neg.) I don't care since I scan and adjust, if necessary, any images that are important to me. I've been quite happy with their imported Portra 160NC and am trying out Portra 400 and Supra 100, 400 & 800 imported.

Moose

Norm Nadel wrote:

I have not seen this discussed before but I am sure that it has been
covered.

I was looking through the B&H site at the various types of Kodak color slide
film available.
There are three types for each category .. USAW, USA, Imported.

Question 1. What is USAW?
Question 2. Does it "really" make a difference as long as the expiration
date is OK?

Some of the price differentials are more than double like $10.25 vs. 4.49.
What gives??