[OM] Re: ( OM ) CDROMs

Subject: [OM] Re: ( OM ) CDROMs
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 10:24:26 +1200
Hello Ian,

Many thanks for filling in gaps in my understanding of CDs.

One final aspect, for me since I have for sale a World Fern database on
CDROM and wish to give my clients the best deal possible, could you tell
me the names of the best (half-dozen?) quality recordable CDROMs that I
should consider buying?

At the moment my considerations have taken in to account other factors
such as that Sony 10CDQ80N2 made in Taiwan that come in very slim jewel
cases enabling me to post them as a letter (using a USA-made very stiff
envelope ( the Jiffi Rigi Bag #1 made by "Sealed Air") ). The total thickness
of this combination is merely 7.5mm, well under the international postal
maximum of 10mm. Even when I wrap the jewel case in Glad-wrap (cling-
wrap) to provide protection against water in transit, the combo is still less
than 10mm.

Please reply off-list if you would rather not make public recommendations.

Based on the information printed on CDROM boxes, I have NO reliable guide
for a sensible choice.

Cheers, Brian