[OM] Scanning slides for archival

Subject: [OM] Scanning slides for archival
From: Dick Locke <rlocke1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 08:09:54 -0500
While the discussion on this topic has focused on the merits of digital archiving, etc., a couple of people have touched on a more relevant issue. The original issue was the the slides scanned with the HP were of disappointing quality.

The general problem is that inexpensive scanners tend to have trouble with dark/dense slides. The "DMAX" (density) rating of a scanner is supposed to help identify a scanner's capabilities in this area.

Basically, if possible, I'd strongly suggest a different scanner. My old Minolta Dimage scanner (~$400 US) had a lot of trouble with slides. (It was excellent with negatives.) It did much better with extreme multi-passing using Viewscan, but that naturally increased the scan time such that it would be impractical to scan a large number of slides.

My Nikon Coolscan IV ED (~$800 US) is much better with slides and produces excellent results without multi-scanning.

-Dick Locke