RE: [OM] Common Personality

Subject: RE: [OM] Common Personality
From: "Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 11:09:35 -0600
> I afraid I don't think that this is a corect explanation. Even if the
> address should be stored in a cookie (which it is not) it would still
> require that I visited sites requesting and getting that cookie (which
> they then wouldn't get).

 That said, web bugs are easy enough to plant in HTML mail to confirm it's
been read, cookies or no cookies.

 As for why you might get email even though you've never used the address,
there's a number of possibilities there:

 1. johnsmith@xxxxxxxxxxx is an obvious target, as is johnsmith1,
johnsmith123, etc.

 2. even if it's argle@xxxxxxxxxxx or something, if anyone else has used
argle@hotmail before, or argle@yahoo, or argle@anything, then the spammers
will add 'argle' to the list of suffixes to try and you might get hit that
way. It costs them nothing to try, after all..

 -- dan