Re: [OM] ( OM ) Re XA - and Zuiko 200/4

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM ) Re XA - and Zuiko 200/4
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 16:29:52 -0700
Seriously now Brian, a close reading of Gary's 200/4 tests leads me to conclude that the SC version, while not better, is probably about the same in resolution as the MC lens. The SC test was made with OM-1 and no lens support. Compare it to the MC tests with OM-1 and no lens support, Cs and Ds from f4-11 in both cases, equally poor within the accuracy of the tests for non-paired comparisons. Then look at how the MC performs with proper technique. I don't see why the SC wouldn't show similar improvement with proper use. I don't see anything in the tests to suggest anything more than a possible slight edge in resolution for the MC design, and even that is probably reading too much into the available data.

Light transmission and contrast may be another matter, but evidence is scarce and indirect. Gary was so involved in vibration/resolution issues that he made no comments on contrast in the MC tests except with the 2X converter. However, I think we can safely assume the 2X-A doesn't improve contrast and the MC has mod-low through mod-high contrast with the converter. Given the SC rating of low contrast, it's clear the MC is contrastier, which means 'sharper looking' in most cases, particularly with conventional processing/printing (vs. digital).

The most immediate logical reason I can think of for Gary's comment on the SC that shutter speeds were generally slower than for the MC is that the SC transmits less light and is, in effect, slightly slower. However, I don't think the math supports this. With only 8 air/glass surfaces, the transmission difference should be negligable in terms of stops. The Britanica says coating reduces reflection loss to about 0.50er surface, for a total compounded loss of about 4 0.000000or SC. Even if MC had no reflection loss, 1/4 stop is 12.5%, so the difference is less than 1/10 of a stop. Are my numbers off somewhere?

Moose

Brian Swale wrote:

In view of what Gary found in his tests, in your experience, what is aspect of the 200/4 SC performance is better than the MC?