re:[OM] Wide zooms

Subject: re:[OM] Wide zooms
From: Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 17:54:53 -0700
Moose writes:

>   ....There seems to be a common assumption that metal construction is somehow
> mystically associated with superior optics. Yet several list members
> have made comments about the plastic one along the lines of "I can't
> believe it will hold up, but it takes great pictures (and is so cheap I
> can just buy another if it breaks after a few years)"......

Same things were said when the first hand power tools were made with
plastic housings. Reminds me of the "old timers" pontificating on the
merits of sturdy metal vs. cheap plastic. Time has proven the plastic to
be equal to or better than the best metal housings plus they are lighter
and cheaper. Ironically the current crop of metals like ti and mg are
billing themselves as being lighter and stonger than plastic but
definitely not cheaper.

Mike

--
Latitude 48° 32' North, Longitude 123° 7' West