[OM] Wide zooms

Subject: [OM] Wide zooms
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 15:51:26 -0700
I already had a Vivitar 19-35 before I found the list and I've been following posts about these 2 lenses since then.

As far as I can recall, there have been many direct comments about mechanical characteristics and very few direct comments on performance. Lots of "It's my understanding" and "I've heard", but very little substantive.

Everyone agrees the Samyang is metal and heavy and the Vivitar is plastic and light. Everyone assumes the plastic one won't hold up. However, no one has reported any mechanical problems with it. The current Phoenix is identical to the Vivitar 'Series 1', but the Samyang may also have been sold under the Phoenix name?

There seems to be a common assumption that metal construction is somehow mystically associated with superior optics. Yet several list members have made comments about the plastic one along the lines of "I can't believe it will hold up, but it takes great pictures (and is so cheap I can just buy another if it breaks after a few years)"

The only direct test I recall is Walt Wayman's 5/4/02 post comparing the plastic 19-35 to the Zuiko 21/2.0 "When I got the slides back, I had a hard time telling which ones were shot with which lens. It took close scrutiny with a 10X loupe and some head scratching to decide on most."

I've taken several shots I think look technically great on 4x6 prints with the 19-35, but none that I thought were photographically/artistically interesting enougth to do anything more with (yet?).

I just don't think there is enough evidence at hand to judge which is the optically better lens.

Moose

Marten Beels wrote:

It is my understanding this this lens is better in both build quality and
optical performance then the
Phoenix/Vivitar, which I found out right after I bought my Series 1 19-35.
Maybe we can negotiate a trade!?!?