Re: [OM] ( OM ) Dust and other foreign bodies in lenses - follow-up.

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM ) Dust and other foreign bodies in lenses - follow-up.
From: Roger Wesson <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 16:06:40 +0100
Astronomical observations are almost always affected by dust on the window in front of the CCD chip - it shows up as a dark doughnut shape on the image (research-quality telescopes are all reflectors so it's that familiar mirror lens bokeh). It's very straightforward to compensate for this by using a uniform light source to determine variations in sensitivity across the chip. Ought to be possible to do something similar with a digital camera if cleaning is not a practical option.

Roger