Re: [OM] D. O. F. Plane?

Subject: Re: [OM] D. O. F. Plane?
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2002 12:17:15 -0700
Hi!
First TOPE 10 is great! Thanks to Olaf and the participators.

Entry 9 of TOPE 10, got me thinking of math and linear algebra, sorry if
this disturbs anyone. Anyway, the d.o.f. must be a 3D-space, where the exact
focus is a plane more or less in the center, and by tilting the camera, much
like on a large format camera, one could more or less get at horizontal or
at least tilted focus?

Is this how the shift lenses work?
Sorry to disturb you on a Sunday. Anyway this might be one of my last
posting for the summer. Next week I will go to the island of Gotland for the
whole summer, first 3 weeks a photography course and after that finishing my
master thesis. This will happen in a broadband free environment so I'll be
switching to digest mode any day now.

Have a nice summer, if you are on the southern hemisphere, I envy you if you
are close to snow, my skies stands in the corner complaining abot low TLC.

Happy shooting // Johan

Johan,

A tilt lens would do what you are talking about, i.e. tilting the
plane of focus away from parallel to the film plane. Canon is unique
in making some for their  35 mm cameras.

A shift lens is essentially a wide field lens which allows you to
pick which part of the field you want to record on the film by
shifting the lens.  For example, you can take a picture of a tall
building by shifting the lens and moving the foreground out of the
frame and the top of the building into the frame without tilting the
camera.  It avoids that tilted back look and the nonparallel lines.
Its plane of focus is parallel to the film plane like most lenses.

Winsor
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California