Re: [OM] OM 4 (Auto) - Shutter speeds

Subject: Re: [OM] OM 4 (Auto) - Shutter speeds
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 00:01:31 -0500
At 19:05 6/12/02, Winsor Crosby wrote:

My success rate with flash is not so great and I prefer to blame it on the emulsion reflectivity. :-)

Aside from the film reflectivity, the effect of which you cannot change (other than calibrating for a film and compensating), there are some other things that may help. At home indoors, I've been using bounce and softboxes more. The Metz is more amenable to this than the T-32, but I have a diffuser for it too. If the room is bigger (reception hall size) I use the Metz with softbox or a bounce card. This tends to spread light around more and illuminate the area more evenly. A direct, bare flash tube is harsh and produces proper light level for a specific distance. The closer the subject, the narrower the depth of acceptable lighting level. Similar to depth of field and how it narrows with shorter focus distances, but with light level instead of apparent sharpness.

If you haven't tried some of these things, you might experiment with them to see if they help.

BTW, my most accurate flash exposures occur using fixed flash output and an incident flash meter reading at the desired distance. Works for some things that are more static but is admittedly impractical for candids of fast-moving curtain-climbers and ankle-biters.

-- John