Re: [OM] Solar eclipse advice

Subject: Re: [OM] Solar eclipse advice
From: jochen.schiffler@xxxxxxxxxxx (Jochen Schiffler)
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 17:26:47 +0200 (CEST)
NSURIT@xxxxxxx schrieb:
> At sundown today their will be a partial solar eclipse
> and Houston will be
> one of the areas where it can best be seen.  As a guy
> with a camera, I almost
> feel obligated to try to capture the event.  I would be
> interested in
> opinions on how to safely capture it.  My initial idea
> (keeping in mind I
> don't want to fry my eye) was to use the 200mm f4 with
> ISO 200 film and stack
> some combination of a graduated ND, Polarizer & ND 4.
> Plan is to focus on
> infinity and then wait for the sun to get where I want it
> to be and minimize
> my looking thru the camera when the sun is actually in
> the picture.  Any
> thoughts?  Bill Barber

Bill,

I have little experience in shooting solar eclipses although we had a
fantastic total eclipse here in germany in 1999. I found the images of
the partial eclipse to be rather boring compared to the corona pictures
but nevertheless this kind of event is worth a few shots.

I used a ND=5 dedicated solar filter foil (Baader Astro Solar TM Safty
Film) in front of a 210 mm lens (+ 2x converter) but there is also a
special photgrahphic foil (AstroSolar TM Photofilm) with ND 3,8. For
further information you might want to have a look at this website:
http://www.baader-planetarium.com/sofifolie/sofi_start_e.htm

I do not recommend using any other items but dedicated solar filters!
Many things might darken the image of the sun but do not prevent UV
rays from damaging your eyes.

BTW:
If you ever have the chance to witness a TOTAL solar eclipse, DON´T
waste your time fooling around with your photographic equipment. Enjoy
the pure beauty of nature.
I very much REGRET having shot the following picture (and a few
others):
http://www.schiffler.net/foto/astro/pages/sofi_1.htm
(not 1% as impressive as the real life corona)

Enjoy it and clear skies

Jochen

P.S.: The corona is shot without the solar fiter