[OM] contrast/resolution

Subject: [OM] contrast/resolution
From: "Bill Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 08:57:46 -0500
Brian said:
"I've never been satisfied with commercial B&W processors here, especially
after seeing the non-contrasty prints with a great tonal range that I used
get when in the UK in the '60's. Here, there (used to be anyway) only what I
would describe as very hard prints. Black or white "tones" with very little
in
between."
I'm of the opinion that tastes are changing, more in favor of higher
contrast, and in color, higher saturation. The result is a particularly eye
catching result. If this is satisfying in the long term, and the reasons for
this, I'll not discuss.

"In comparing shots of the same subjects (one specific red flower, same
lens -
 Zuiko 100 f/2 ) taken with Kodachrome 64, and Fuji Reala, I noticed that
the
Kodachrome gave a greater tonal range (more contrast/) "
Hold the phone! Isn't that like sweet and sour? More contrast means LESS
tonal range, as the tones are compressed to achieve the higher contrast.

As this discussion continues, the only thing I know for sure is that we all
need a dictionary of terms, and that includes me!

Bill Pearce