Re: [OM] First Attempt at Concert Photography

Subject: Re: [OM] First Attempt at Concert Photography
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas" <cjss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 00:27:57 +0200
Hi, John.

>I was thinking about trying some Ektachrome 320T (tungsten) at push 1 to
>EI640 for something like this.  Has anyone pushed the tungsten 320T before?

I've done it, and I think the results are quite acceptable. Here are two
samples of this film at push 2 to EI 1250: (a bit large, sorry)

<http://cjss.galeon.com/epj/1.jpeg> (186 KB, shot with domestic light-bulbs)
<http://cjss.galeon.com/epj/2.jpeg> (142 KB, in daylight without filter --
so with the typical blue cast)

These are poor scans made through my flatbed with transparency adaptor. I
did the least amount of processing (the _same_ to both scans), just to
match the scans to the slides as much as possible. Have into account that
the original slides are _way_ sharper and have _much_ more shadow detail!

I once pushed the 320T to EI800 (push +1 1/3), but the thermometer was
nearly 2 degrees off, so the film was over-developed! However, I find the
grain somewhat finer than at EI 1250.

AFAIK, the Ektachrome 320T (EPJ) is the tungsten-balanced version of the
Ektachrome 400-X (EPL). I've used this film a lot, at _any_ development
possible. Grain and especially contrast increase proportionally to
development time; at push 2, still good results but with noticeable grain;
at push 3, contrast and colour balance get crazy! However, If you won't
push more than 1 stop, I believe you'll get good quality slides from EPJ.

I also tried Ektachrome 160T (ET & EPT) at push 2 (EI 640); contrast is
lower, but there's a loss of maximum density, so shadows are worse, with
lots of grain.

>Used Tri-X at EI400

I almost always expose Tri-X at EI 1600, with very good results. I think
it's the best speed-grain balance with good shadow detail. I develop it in
Kodak HC-110, dilution B (1+31), 16 min @ 20 degrees Celsius (68 F), or
even in dilution A (1+15) for half that time. If you are new to HC-110,
remember that its capacity is lower than a standard developer like D-76 --
about 4 rolls 135-36 per litre of working solution (dil. B).

Hope I'm not too late ;-)

Carlos Santisteban

<cjss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
<cjsantis@xxxxxxxx>