[OM] Re: Zuiko 200 f5

Subject: [OM] Re: Zuiko 200 f5
From: "Charles Geilfuss" <cgeilfuss@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2002 15:55:43 +0000
Greetings All,
This lens is a timely topic for me. Last weekend I participated in the 17th Annual Grandfather Mountain Nature Photography Weekend in which participants are given a role of slide film to shoot between 3pm Friday and 2pm Saturday. The turnout was huge, there being about 160 photographers that entered. Each person can submit one image in three of four catagories (Scenic, Wildflowers, Animal in Wild, and Animal in Habitat). The image I submitted for Animal in the Wild was taken with my 200 f5. I must admit that I've rarely used this lens but I chose to take it over the 300 f4.5 since I knew I would be lugging my equipment up hill & dale. It didn't let me down: it's easy to hand hold and the "slowness" is less of a bother since I recently switched to an all matte focusing screen in my 2n. I used it to sneak up on a Junco that was singing on a split-rail fence. I don't think I would have tried it with the 300 since I didn't have time to mess with the tripod. I knew as soon as I took the shot it was a keeper; what still continues to shock and amaze me was that it took 1st place in the wild animal catagory! I nearly fell out of my chair. The contest officials haven't returned it yet, but when it is back in my hands I will post it for the group. Needless to say I think I will carry the little 200 more often. Maybe it's multicoated with luck. As an added bonus I ran into another List member so it was nice to add a face to one of our number. We heard there was another of you there but didn't happen to meet up.

Charlie Geilfuss