Re: [OM] Attn: Digest Members

Subject: Re: [OM] Attn: Digest Members
From: "Michael S. Williamson" <mikew@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 01:09:59 -0500
So much for getting this all out by 9:00 (4 hours ago).  At last though,
here it is (with a few other items thrown in).  Here's the fine print first.
Anything you buy MUST be sent via the US Postal Service.  I can make it to
the Post Office during my lunch break.  I can't make it to UPS or Fed Ex. I
would like to be paid with a money order but will accept PayPal.  I don't
have any pictures but if you can't decide without seeing a picture, let me
know and by this weekend I'll shot some and send them to you.  I'm leaving
town June 22nd and won't be back for a couple of weeks.  I'll need payment
in hand so that I can ship your purchase no later than June 19th.  I'll
actually ship within a day or two of receiving payment, but the 19th is the
last day I'll have time to get anything off.  If you find a problem with
anything you buy, I'll refund your money less hipping. Since I won't be back
until around the 7th of July, that will give you a several week inspection
period.

----------------- Cameras --------------------------

OM-PC:
Comes with 50mm f1.8 F. Zuiko, a user's manual (photocopied, but someone cut
it to the correct size), lens cap, Tundra strap (looks like Op/Tech), and a
nice OM-PC camera case.  Previous owner's identifying information was
engraved on baseplate and side of lens.  Someone scratched that out, I guess
with another engraving tool.  Eradicated parts are coppery looking.  Bought
this in the Spring of 2000. Used it as a backup camera on a trip abroad that
summer.  Younger daughter (early 20s) used it for a year thereafter
(probably ran less than 5 roll through it).  This is the only OM-PC I've
ever seen.  The plastic parts of the body look slightly greasy but don't
feel greasy.  I don't know what that's about.  The camera is better than a
user but definitely isn't a collector's item.  I'm going to call it 80-85%.
Lens looks a little better cosmetically.  Glass is clean.  Diaphragm snappy.
Camera, lens, cap, strap, and case are $100 plus shipping/insurance.  If you
don't want the lens, I'll substitute a body cap.  If you don't want the
case, I'll knock off $25.

OM-4:
Serial number 1068xxx.  Motor drive cap missing.  Surface scratches on
bottom plate.  Usual brassing on back.  Corners not brassed except for a
couple of small spots where camera strap rubbed.  Camera probably 85-90%.  I
bought this camera used from Columbus Camera around 1988.  It passes the
30-second test, so the circuitry must have been replaced at some time.  This
was my only Olympus for about 10 years.  It had a CLA by Ken Strauss around
September of 2000. Foam was replaced at that time.  Comes with 1-13 screen
and an almost new Op/Tech strap.  Also comes with your choice of a body cap
or a 50mm f1.8 MIJ with a sluggish diaphragm.  (Lens looks like it stops
down okay but "glides" back open instead of snapping back open.)  This
really is a nice camera.  In a moment of weakness (one of many such moments
actually), I picked up another 4T several months back, so I'm selling my
sentimental favorite OM.  $325 including shipping and insurance in the US.
(I'll knock $10 off of actual shipping/insurance if sold outside of the US.)
If you don't want the Op/Tech strap, knock off another $10.

OM-2S:
Another camera purchased in the Spring of 2000. Used by my #2 daughter on
vacation that summer.  Probably had 1 or 2 rolls run through it in the last
year.  Serial number 1081xxx.  Seller told me camera was serviced in
Philadelphia several years ago - reason unknown to me.  Looking from the
front some brassing noted on both upper corners and along edges of
pentaprism.  Dried glue (I guess) where the oval "Passed JCII" inspection
sticker was.  (I never attempted to clean it.)  Removing the lens cap, I see
a couple of wear marks in the semi-circular area below the rectangular
opening.  Looking from the top, no unusual wear noted.  No dings or dents
seen anywhere. Looking at the back, the usual brassing of metal noted.
Eyepiece looks a little dusty externally.  A little brassing noted on back
upper corners.  Looking at bottom, several light short scratches noted.
(None are other than superficial.)  Silver battery cap.  No motor drive cap.
Brassing & scuffs around tripod socket.  Bottom plate has almost complete
brassing around the edges. Comes with 1-13 focusing screen and camera strap.
I've probably made this sound like a user camera, but it isn't.  I believe
this camera falls in the 80-890f original finish category which would make
it KEH Excellent.  No known problems.  My first OM series camera was an
OM-2S (which didn't survive a dunking in a river).  I've still got the
instruction booklet somewhere and will either send it with this camera or as
soon as located.  This is all yours for $200 plus shipping and insurance.

Here are some sort of free items (but not really since you've got to buy one
or more of the cameras).:
1. I've got an extra grip (Camera Grip 1) that will fit both the 2S and the
4.  First buyer of either of those cameras can have it if they want it.

2. I've got a Kalimar holster-style camera case that came with the 2S when I
bought it.  First buyer of any of the three cameras that wants it can have
it.

3. 50mm f1.4 - G. Zuiko - sn 718xxx  This is the single coated lens.  Smooth
focusing.  Snappy diaphragm.  Lettering not as crisp.  49mm filter size.
Front and rear generic lens caps.  Glass looks good.  I can see some small
dark (dust?) particles inside (3 I think).  Filter ring dented.  Someone
(not me) must have tried to straighten it with pliers as there is paint
missing at that point and along the outside of the lens barrel there (Three
scratches on the outside, 2 about 5mm, the other about 20mm long.)  The
repair was partially successful as you can turn a filter enough (about half
a turn) that it stays on.  Includes inexpensive filter of some sort.  Free o
the first buyer of any of the cameras that wants it (limit one free lens per
camera purchased).

4. 135mm f2.8 lens - Telesar brand - 55mm filter size - Rear lens cap
included.  No front lens cap.  No filter.  Focus ring shows closest focus to
be 1.8 meters  (just under 6 feet).  Here's your chance to see if you care
for the 135mm focal
length.  I used this lens for some indoor shots of my younger daughter's
graduation back last year.  These were 4x6 prints and looked fine.  Without
a doubt this won't be as sharp as a name-brand lens.  If you want to use it
for portraits, that may be fine.  If you want the utmost resolution, I feel
sure this isn't it.  The price is right though.  Free to the first buyer of
any of the cameras that wants it (limit one free lens per camera purchased).

------------- Lenses --------------------------

24mm f2.8 H. Zuiko:
Serial number 159xxx.  Front and rear lens caps, very nice Hoya HMC 1B
filter (or Hoya HMC 81B if your prefer), and the metal Olympus lens hood
included.  Olympus case in very condition (except all leather missing from
the bottom!) also included.  Single coated.  Diaphragm snappy.  Minimal use
by me.  24mm turns out to not be my cup of tea.  I decided there was no
point in keeping it if I would never use it (duh).  If you're a long time
list member or will check the archives, you will find that a number of
members have mentioned preferring the SC version over the MC (and especially
preferring the f2.8 over the f2).   This was the centerpiece of a kit I
purchased back in 2000.  The seller was apparently a big smoker judging by
the smell when I opened the box.  Even though I had no problems with this
lens, I had a CLA done last summer (so you don't need to worry about smoke
covered elements).  The finish on this is good. The black isn't shiny like
new nor are the numbers bright.  There is a small (2mm) nick just above the
green 24mm on the side.  No glass imperfections noted.  $175 plus shipping
and insurance.

28mm f2 Zuiko:
Serial number 108xxx. I've owned this one since December of 2000 and am only
selling because I bought another one (and don't need 2).  Comparing this one
with the other 28 f2 (sn 113xxx), the exterior is definitely duller.  It
isn't a shiny black like a new one.  The f-stop numbers aren't bright like
on a newer one.  I would call the finish in the 85% range.  The diaphragm is
snappy.  Closes and reopens briskly.  Focusing is fine, not tight or loose,
just seems normal.  The rear of the lens exhibits brassing, the first time
I've noticed that on a lens (but then I haven't paid much attention to my
other lenses).  I don't know if that means it was mounted and dismounted
(unmounted?) a lot or if the OM it was mounted on was "tight."  I've mounted
it on three different OM bodies.  It goes on and comes off freely, so there
is no apparent problem with the mounting.  Using a flashlight and a
magnifying glass, I looked at the glass.  There are a number (dozen+) of
small dust particles or black paint chips visible under magnification.
Scared the crap out of me.  I looked in the other 28 and saw slightly fewer
small particles but did see what would appear to be a piece of lint in that
one.  I then pulled out my 50 f2 and 85 f2, both purchased on eBay as
supposedly (and apparently so) NIB.  They both had small dust
particles/paints chips visible under magnification though not as many as the
28.  I guess that's normal.  I took a closer look at the front and rear
surfaces.  I think I see what looks like cleaning fluid residue in one small
area of the front surface.  It is very faint, but that's what it looks like
to me. Without the magnifying glass, I couldn't see it at all.  I've never
cleaned the lens and won't attempt to do so now.  I've shot a dozen or so
pictures with this lens in the last year without noticing any problems with
the pictures.  This lens comes with front and rear lens caps and a Heliopan
ES 49 UV MC filter (or you can substitute a Heliopan ES 49 KR 1.5 Skylight,
but it isn't marked as MC).  Price on this one is $200 plus
shipping/insurance.

50mm f1.2:
Serial number 108xxx.  Comes with front and rear lens caps, 50mm f1.2 hood,
and Heliopan ES 49 UV MC filter.  This is a beautiful lens.  Cosmetically it
appears to be 950r better.  The diaphragm is snappy.  Glass appears
flawless.  $325 plus insurance/shipping.

35-70 f3.6 zoom:
Serial number 243xxx.  Comes with front and rear lens caps, lens hood
designed for this lens, and Hoya Super HMC 1B filter.  Cosmetically 95%.
Diaphragm snappy.  No problems noted with glass.  $225 plus
insurance/shipping.

35-105mm f3.5-4.5 zoom:
Serial number 513xxx.  Comes with front and rear lens caps, lens hood
designed for this lens, and Heliopan ES 55 UV SH-PMC filter.  Finish appears
to be about 95%. Diaphragm snappy.  Glass appears flawless.  If it matters
to you, this is the >500,000 serial number lens that Gary Reese tested.
$250 plus insurance/shipping.

200mm f4 E. Zuiko:
Serial number 120xxx.  Silver nose SC. Cosmetically 85-90%.  Inch long
shallow scratch on built in lens hood.  Comes with front and rear caps and
Quantaray MC (QMC) 1A filter.  I bought another 200mm, so I don't need this
one.  $75 plus shipping/insurance.

Vivitar 28-105mm f3.5-4.5 macro focusing (1:5) zoom:
Multi-coated.  This one is NOT a Series 1.  I got it in the early 90's
(definitely from Woodmere, new I believe) when my 28-90 Series 1 developed
the sticky iaphragm. I find the focal range to be a little more useful than
the 28-90.  This is a metal (as opposed to mainly plastic) zoom.  It takes a
72mm filter and comes with a rear lens cap, Vivitar front cap, Hoya UV(0)
filter, and a "cap leash."  I always kept the filter on this one.  Aperture
is snappy.  Very minimal wear marks (just a few very small highlights.
Still a very glossy black body.  Glass is fine.  I see three or 4 small
scuff marks (about 1mm each) on the filter. Macro available at 105mm only.
Like many older zooms, this one suffers from zoom creep.  As long as you
keep the lens horizontal, you're fine.  For years I used this as my vacation
lens and took hundreds (thousands?) of photos with it.  $50 plus
shipping/insurance.

Tokina 70-210mm f4-5.6 zoom:
I've owned this lens since the late 1980s but have used it very little.
About a year ago I got the dedicated (metal) hood.  Comes with that hood,
rear lens cap, front lens cap (which can't be used with the hood in place),
and Kenko 52mm MC 81B filter.  $50 plus shipping/insurance.

-------- Other Items ------------

Olympus 25mm Manual Extension Tube:
In box. Looks virtually new.  $20 plus shipping/insurance.

T20 flash:
Looks 85-90%.  Works fine.  If I want a little flash, I prefer the slightly
less powerful T18 because it seems to do a better job of avoiding red-eye.
$25 plus shipping/insurance.

Tamron Adaptall-II mount:
This is the OL (newer) model that won't cause problems with the OM-4.  Used
but looks great and works fine.  $20 plus shipping/insurance.

Power Bounce Grip 2:
Brassing along edges of bottom piece that camera attaches to.  80-85%.  I
never used it.  I bought and put in fresh batteries tonight.  It charged the
T20 fine, so it must work okay.  Has grip strap.  Does not have M Grip Cord.
$50 plus shipping/insurance.

T32 Flash Zoom Adapter:
Got this off eBay in 2000.  Never used it.  Looks like the plastic fresnel
lenses could use cleaning (but I doubt that it would affect the flash output
if you don't).  The body is 85-90%.  I would call the fresnel 75-80%.  A
good cleaning might be all it needs.  $20 plus shipping/insurance.

Hoya HMC 49mm Circular Polarizer:
Needs cleaning (but not desparately so).  Looks like light smudges on glass.
Could be cleaning fluid residue.  See 2 or 3 small (pin head size) bright
spots on surface also.  I've got another polarizer.  You clean this one.
$15 plus shipping/insurance.

At long last, I believe that is it.  I only missed my anticipated posting
time by almost 4 hours.   Funny how the descriptions got shorter the later
it got.  I'm off to work in a few hours, so now I'm headed for bed.  It will
be roughly 16-18 hours from now before I can let anyone know what, if
anything, is sold plus answer any questions you have.

Mike