[OM] T32 flash problem

Subject: [OM] T32 flash problem
From: Jose Afonso <jm_afonso@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 10:30:47 +0100 (BST)
Hello all!

A few months ago I was introduced by a friend to this
Zuikoholic business... he sold me an old (15 years)
OM4 (mint condition) plus a 35-105mm lens and a
T32 flash (equally mint), with a few extras on the
deal. After a few rolls (and exciting ones...) I had a
disaster with the flash unit: The batteries collapsed
(Kodak ones with 2008 expiry date!!!)... I caught the
thing early (but obviously not early enough), used
some vinegar to clean the alkaline splillage (opened
the unit, very careful with the condenser, done a
thourough job) and then tried it. Well, the condenser
charges, no problem, but test button is dead and the
OM4 does not seem to be able to control (ie, trigger)
the unit. Being at the end of my electronic knowledge,
I took the T32 to a camera repair guy. He says that
the electronic circuit has to be replaced, and that
will cost me around 160 euros (around US$180).

Could you advice me on the fairness of this price? I
did not expect the alkaline material to be so quick in
affecting the circuit, but I can even accept that. But
the price seems high enough for me to buy another used
T32... Does anyone know the price for a T32 circuit
(and how I could get one)?

Thank you very much
Jose Afonso