Re: [OM] shift lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] shift lenses
From: "Paul Farrar" <farrar@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 09:38:52 -0500 (CDT)

> The Olympus 24 Shift lens has an image circle of ~57mm... Most 35mm lenses
> are designed to barely exceed the needed image circle size (~47mm) to
> minimize the amount of glass and physical size needed. With a 57mm image
> circle, this size image, if compressed to the fill only the 35 frame size
> would be equivalent of the 18mm lens. In other words the angle of view of
> the extreme left shift to extreme right shift is equivalent to the angle of
> view of the 18mm lens. I think the 35 Shift has about the 24mm equivalent
> angle of view. Olympus only made a 24 Shift and the 35 Shift, I think there
> is a (Schneider?) 28 Shift that has been offered in Olympus mount (or
> converted to fit Olympus...).
> --
>
> Jim Brokaw
> OM-1's, -2's, -4's, (no -3's yet) and no OM-oney...

Although the OM 24mm has an image circle that covers the same angle
as an 18mm full frame, you can get views with the shift that you
can't with an 18mm. The reason is that with the 24 shift you can
access parts of the image circle  which you cannot with an 18mm and
cropping.

For a post on this subject a couple of years ago, I made a diagram
that's still online:
http://www.datasync.com/~farrar/shift.gif
The image circle of a 24mm shift on the right has been scaled by
0.75 to make it the same size as the 18mm on the left. You can
see that cropping an 18*27 subframe from an 18mm won't give you
images you can get by moving a 24*36mm frame within the 24mmshift's
image circle. There is not much difference for lateral shift, but
quite a bit for rise and fall. I verified this with actual lenses.

Paul Farrar