RE: [OM] ( OM ) What we photograph - some thoughts. - long

Subject: RE: [OM] ( OM ) What we photograph - some thoughts. - long
From: Marc Lawrence <mlawrence@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 11:06:08 +1000
> Brian Swale [mailto:bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] wrote:
> "A rabbit?", you're thinking.  Yes, just a rather stupid

We have two "just a dog"'s and one "just a bloody cat".
We refer to them as the "furkids".

Most of my photography has been spent improving (or trying to
improve) with them as the subjects. I've got dog-photos
everywhere. I keep telling myself, "Well, a lot of them are
real crappy - not even in focus or exposed properly. I'll
have to go through them all and get rid of most of them".

'Course, I know I won't.

I'll sort through the holiday photos, the house-building
photos, the hut photos, the softball photos and the
practice-in-the-city photos, but the sentimentalist will
keep even the blurry furkid photos, to make sure the memories
stay sharp.

Don't tell any of the blokes down the pub though ;-)

Seriously, I really feel for you, Brian.

I've started to realise that the photos I like best are
the ones I take of friends and family when they've got
half a vanilla slice crammed in their mouth (and half
the rest on their chin), or when a funny-but-gross friend
shoves an olive in her nostril (but doesn't expect it
to be recorded forver), or a dog with a mouthful of dirt
from where he's been digging. The subjects don't necessarily
like the results *now* - but they always laugh later and
remember (well, maybe not the dog <g>). You may have just
hit on a turning point for me, Brian. I may have to pay
more attention and direct myself down this path.

This aptly brings it back on-topic. These types of photos
are easier to take with a subtle, simple and small Olympus
35 RC or an OM1 with 50/1.4 or 135/3.5 rather than a large
"I've got a battery-pack and external flash on my bigger
modern camera" (my EOS 50E in other words).

...and finally, on the 25th June, our entire immediate
family (brothers and grandmother from Queensland, sister
from London) are getting together for the first time in 10
years at my parents (and with my grandfather there too).
Time to take some memories, while there is still time.

Cheers
Marc
Sydney, Oz