Re: [OM] Eye Cups 1 & 2

Subject: Re: [OM] Eye Cups 1 & 2
From: "CyberSimian" <CyberSimian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 09:09:18 -0000
I have both the eyecup 1 and the eyecup 2.  Here is my take:

Eyecup 1:

This has a metal frame and a quality finish.  The rubber eyecup itself can
be removed, leaving just the dioptric correction lens (this is how I use
it).  The dioptric lens can be replaced, and is a standard size.  (I
recently had to change from a -3 to a -4, and of course genuine Olympus
dioptric lenses are rarely stocked anymore, and may not be obtainable new.
However, my local Jessops photographic chain store had their own-brand
dioptric lens that fitted the eyecup 1 perfectly, and at a very reasonable
price.)  The eyecup 1 has to be removed in order to load film into the
camera (the eyecup prevents the camera back being opened).  Eyecup 1 is fine
on an OM1 or OM2, but I don't recommend it for an OM3 or OM4, as it
vignettes the corners of the viewfinder.  (For me, the dioptric correction
built into the OM3/4 is no longer sufficient -- it extends to a maximum of
only -3, and these days I need -4.)

Eyecup 2:

This has a plastic frame and a cheap & nasty feel.  The rubber eyecup is not
intended to be removeable.  (You can remove it, but once removed it cannot
be replaced.)  The dioptric lens cannot be replaced, so if your prescription
changes, you need to buy a whole new eyecup 2 (assuming that they are still
available when you need one in the future).  The eyecup 2 does not have to
be removed in order to load film into the camera.  Eyecup 2 is better on the
OM3/4, as it vignettes the viewfinder less than eyecup 1.  Whether it
vignettes the viewfinder at all depends on your facial characteristics -- if
your eyes are deep set, you may get vignetting; if your eyes are shallowly
set, possibly no vignetting at all.

Eyecups and ERCs

If you use an ever-ready case for your camera (I do when I take only a body
plus one prime lens or the 35-70 f3.5-4.5 zoom), the question arises whether
the ERC can accommodate the eyecup.  The hard and semi-hard ERCs accommodate
neither eyecup if the rubber eyecup itself is present.  Some ERCs will
accommodate the eyecup frame (plus dioptric lens) if the rubber eyecup
itself is removed.  My OM2 ERC accommodates neither eyecup, even with the
rubber eyecup removed.  But my OM4 ERC accommodates either eyecup frame with
the rubber eyecup removed; eyecup 2 fits in the ERC more easily than eyecup
1 (it sticks out less).

from Cy in the UK