[OM] A Recent Fang (Almost ??)

Subject: [OM] A Recent Fang (Almost ??)
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 20:41:08 -0500
Recently attended a "going out of business" sale from a local professional who had retired and was liquidating his studio equipment.

Acquired while there:
  - Two 135 WS studio strobes with modeling lights for $10 each.
      Not that powerful but the price was right.
  - One Sunpak 544 handle mount flash (GN 140) for $30.
      with Quantum Bantam battery adapter.
  - One 18" very, very nice cable release for $2
      has an interesting lock on it; not the normal setscrew.

Not a bad deal overall for a total of $52. However, it what I couldn't get while there that's going to be my undoing:
  - No umbrella brackets
  - No light stands
  - No umbrellas
  - No flash meter
  - No PC cord for the Sunpak
  - No rechargeable cells for the Sunpak.

I now have a coiled Paramount cord for the Sunpak, and 12 1700mAH NiMH "AA" cells. The Sunpak 544 battery box uses 6 "AA" cells, and if you've ever used one of these powerful gems, it's just a hair under the T-45 GN and swallows alkalines quickly. High capacity NiMH cells, Sunpak's high voltage battery pack, or one of the Quantum batteries (Bantam or Turbo) are the *only* solution for using one and getting a decent number of flashes out of it before changing batteries. Spent more for these than I did for the flash! The Quantum Bantam battery adapter could be used to make my own 9 volt battery pack from NiMH "C" cells. The connector on its coiled cable is a common EIAJ type.

Sadly, someone had already scooped up all his umbrellas, stands, etc., before I got there. Why the strobes were still there is beyond me . . . other than their power level. They work just fine. I was ecstatic at finding the strobes until I estimated what it would take to be able to use them easily. Found a pair of used, sturdy *metal* umbrella brackets. They attach to the bottom of the strobes and mount to top of light stands with hole and setscrew for umbrella rod. Spent more on these than I did the studio strobes! I keep telling myself it's still a good deal though.

Still need stands, umbrellas and a flash meter.

<sigh>

-- John