Re: [OM] Perils of using non-Olympus lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Perils of using non-Olympus lenses
From: Walt Wayman <hiwayman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 13:43:47 -0400
Roger wrote:

>The problem with Tamron Adaptall adapters is related only to Adaptall-2
>adapters, not the original Adaptall. The original Adaptall does not have a
>stopdown button, but has only three screws in the mount and is compatible
>with OM-3 and OM-4.
>Adaptall-2 mounts have four screws, and those that say 'for Olympus OM' on
>the mount have a badly placed screw that needs modification before using
>with OM-3/4. Those that say 'OL' are normally quite OK with OM-3 and -4,
>although I have one 'OL' with a mis-placed screw; it is the only 'bad'
'OL'
>that I have seen.

Thank you, Roger!  A few weeks ago I bought a new Tamron 28-105/2.8 with an
Adaptall-2 mount.  I've got a flock of OM-4(T)(Ti) bodies and I know about
the screw thing, so I checked, and there was no problem with this mount.  A
week or two later, I bought a used Tamron 17/3.5 with an Adaptall-2 mount.
Since the first one was okay, I assumed this one was too.  Wrong.  After
reading your post, I checked, and I?ve got one of each kind, one bad "for
Olympus OM" and one good "OL". The "bad" one was on my newest OM-4Ti
yesterday, but did no damage.  It won't be there again until I locate the
epoxy I know is hiding somewhere in my workshop and I fill in the hole.

The moral of this story: NEVER, EVER assume anything.

Whew!  Thanks again!

Walt