Re: [OM] Help! Light theory, cp-l

Subject: Re: [OM] Help! Light theory, cp-l
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 23:03:22 -0700
Here I go again.......

Not really, at least in some cases.

For any manual reading on the OM-2s, Om-3(T) and OM-4(T), the reading through the half-silvered mirror determines the shutter speed indicated in the viewfinder. For spot readings on the OM-4, the spot reading in memory, which was made through the half-silvered mirror, determines the shutter speed; there is no OTF reading at all.

In auto mode, for speeds faster than 1/60, the second curtain has to be released before the first completes it's travel, so the TTL reading off the film and curtain with the mirror up can no longer wait until enough light for proper exposure has accumulated to release the second curtain, so the exposure speed is fixed before the first curtain release. For the OM-2(n), I'm sure the meter isn't fast enough to make an off the curtain reading after the mirror is up, but it doesn't have the CPL problem. The meter response may be fast enough on the OM-4, but I don't know if it actually takes a post mirror up - pre first curtain release reading. On the OM-PC in program mode (with or eithout ESP?), it does make such a reading, which is part of the reason it has a shutter release delay greater than most other OMs and can't shoot as fast with a winder/MD. This may be true of the OM-2s, at, least in Program mode, but I know very little about them.

Moose

Scott Gomez wrote:

More to the point, to me... why bother with a very expensive C-PL? Am I
wrong in assuming that a linear polarizer works fine on all OM bodies for
actually taking the picture? It's only metering that's skewed on OM-4(T, Ti)
and others with half-silvered mirrors, but once the mirror is up, then TTL
can take over and expose the photograph correctly?