[OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #3392

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #3392
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 01 Jan 1904 00:13:17 +0800
on 5/26/02 10:55 AM, olympus-digest at owner-olympus-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
wrote:

> From: Scott Gomez <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [OM] [OT] Scanner help?
>
> I've been using the Acer Scanwit...<snip>
>
> Although the slides look sharp to me under a loupe, I'm getting consistently
> "soft" scans. I also notice that there is essentially no visible grain in
> the scans, even under significant magnification. So, a few questions:

>From what I've seen from the slides I have had scanned (probably around 150
or so at service bureaus), is that the scanned image is softer than the
slide. I don't know if this is intrinsic to all slide scanners, but it has
been my experience.

> 1. Is Provia F typically this grainless?
Yes, it's grain structure is quite extraordinary. I can't see *any* grain to
it, even when I look at slides with my Horizon 8X loupe. I'm sure you could
see some with a microscope, but has far better grain structure than K64,
IMHO.
> 2. Could this grainlessness be contributing to the "soft" scan results?
Hmmm...could be....
> 3. Anyone have any tips for getting good scans of Provia?
I find Provia scan exceptionally well, better than K64....it was one of the
design criteria for the film to scan well, I beiieve.

-Stephen Scharf